Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Open Up!

Once when I was a student at BYU, living with 2 other girls in a house on 7th north, I was taking a shower and some guy pounded on the wall outside the shower on the side of the house and said, "Police! Open up!" My heart was beating a mile a minute- I didn't wash the conditioner out my hair, but did pull on some jeans and a sweatshirt, and rushed to my front door. There were about 15 men standing on my front lawn. I cracked open the door and managed to get out a squeaky, "yes?"
"Police."
"Yeah, right." I start trying to figure out a way bar the door. I honestly didn't believe it was the police. They were all just wearing jeans and sweatshirts and construction boots.
"Police, ma'am," flashes me his badge. "We're looking for person X [shows me a picture]. Have you seen her?"
"Nope."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." Voice still shaking.
"Thanks."
15 plainclothes police officers wander off my lawn.

After freaking out for a while longer, I went and finished my shower. The rest of the time that I lived there, I couldn't take a shower without feeling completely uneasy.

It still bothers me that I have no idea why they were looking for the person, if she ever had lived there, why it took so many police officers to question me, why they were all wearing construction boots.

1 comment:

El-Heato said...

That reminds me of the time I was at The Villa sleeping soundly on the couch in the living room. Sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning (I hope I'm remembering this right) someone starts banging really loudly on the door and yelling that it's the police. I think they were actually using a flashlight to hit the door. So I open it up and two cops are there and want to talk to Paul about the guy that stole his identity to cash one of his checks. As they walk in, I'm afraid they'll see my (legal) gun under the table and freak out. Before I went to get Paul, I told them it was there, and it didn't seem to bother them at all. They ask Paul some questions and then leave. The way they were acting, you'd think they were hot on the trail of some mass murderer. I mean, really... Couldn't that have waited until a decent hour?

Feel free to correct me if I'm getting the story wrong, Paul.