1. Last night we put the girls to bed and I told them to "sleep tight! Don't let the bed bugs bite!" This was the first time they've ever heard that, and they thought it was HILARIOUS! For the next several minutes they kept chanting, "Bed Bugs Bite!" and cracking up every time.
It was a little bittersweet for me. Hearing them laugh about such a silly thing- something that as an adult I have heard and said hundreds of times was really nice. But it made me sad that now they've heard it, and it won't be new or funny ever like it was last night.
I know this is part of growing up, and of course there will be lots of new experiences and funny things to say, but last night it became very apparent.
2. The Sleepover didn't happen. They never asked, and I never gave.
3. Today after we got home from the park, the girls were so beat that they just fell asleep in the living room.
Of course, when I hauled them up to their beds, they woke up and demanded lunch and stories. And then have been playing and hopping in and out of their beds for the past hour. Which brings me to number four.
4. My dear friend Kerolann, who has kids that are 4, 2, and -2 months wrote to ask me if I get mad when my kids play instead of sleep. She said that she gets frustrated when her kids aren't sleeping and are playing instead (probably even with the baby that isn't born yet. All that kicking can really get to you!) The answer is, yes, I do get mad, but only during nap time, my few precious hours of peace and quiet during the day. At night, they (mostly) stay in their beds, so even when they are singing and talking until 10, I'm happy that they are enjoying each other's company. Except that they never sleep in and are always up by 6:30 the next morning. And are incredibly sleepy and grouchy.
When they don't sleep during their naps I get so frustrated! I just want to nap, or knit or sew or read or cook dinner. I still make them stay in their room for a few hours, but that isn't always a good idea. Behold the workings of Hurricane Camille:
In fact, when I walked in, there was one remaining book on the shelf. She looked at me and smiled, picked up the book and tossed it on the ground. The reason that I went in to fetch her was because she was saying, "No space for me, mommy!"
Apparently I am being paid back for the horrid state in which I have kept my bedroom my entire life.
Yes Kerolann, I do get mad. I get mad, and then I get even.
(Any ideas on how to get even?)
1 comment:
I am glad my kids are not the only ones who don't sleep when they are supposed to and can make an amazing mess. It is lucky they are soo cute.
Post a Comment