Thursday, August 4, 2011

Smitten

You probably are already as smitten with Smitten Kitchen as I am.  I don't know how Deb always knows exactly what I want to eat, but she's got my taste down pat.  I have 2 recipes that I'm making all the time this summer:

First, tomato and corn pie.  You may look at this recipe and say, "why would I make something that heats of the house, cooks a bunch of fresh vegetables in a pie and then cover it all with some lemon mayo?"  And I would say, "This is the most delicious way you can eat summer.  And if making pie crust intimidates you, this biscuitty one is a good way to start."  Oh yeah, and don't bother with peeling the tomatoes and chopping the corn.  That's just silly.

Second, you really need to make this grape and rosemary foccacia.  You may stare at your computer screen and think, "why would I make foccacia that is both sweet and savory?"  And I would think back at you, "this foccacia is the best thing that has happened to your stomach and cheese plate since ever.  And, where do you live?  Under a rock?  Sweet and savory is the new pb&j."

8 comments:

Andrea J said...

Oh Sarah, I miss your kitchen.

Rachel and Vico said...

I love Smitten Kitchen too! We made the Pina Colada cake once and it was rich heaven! I also miss you kitchen, but only as it is an extension of you!!!!!!!!!!

marymommy said...

Oh, yum! Don't you want to come and visit nice, hot Hemet, and bring the yummies? We could make them here while the kids play?

Rachel and Vico said...

p.s. we live in Mississippi not under a rock

Jeannie said...

How lame am I that I've never heard of this blog before? You, as always, are such a trendsetter. And you've never led me astray in anything, let alone food, so I will definitely be making these recipes. Thanks for the tip!

Mary Harsh Tanner said...

I am just gonna have to try this pie. Something about the lemon mayo intrigues me. Besides if you recommend it I know it will be great. Better if you made it but still great.

marymommy said...

Tomato and Corn pie was great! We all loved it! Thanks for talking me through making it. (I didn't call too much - did I?!)

o charm said...

you are so darn ambitious!!!
i think i've only ever made one or two of smitten kitchen's wonders-- they always look too daunting and complicated. plus MY kitchen doesn't look like that!
but thank you for the inspiration. if you make it all the time, it must be worth trying, besides i've got some fresh rosemary sitting around, and the grapes ARE in season. . .