Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trying Teeth

I had to take Camille to the dentist today for 2 fillings.  I think that it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  Well, besides being pregnant with her and having her.  And her sister.  At the same time.  Oh, and pregnancy and childbirth with her brother too.  Putting her in a chair, even with headphones and a My Little Pony movie going, then watching as they numbed her mouth and gave her shot after shot (the cavity was down to a nerve), then watching as they drilled it all out while she screamed ow ow ow!  One tooth was so far gone that they had to put a crown on it.  She was so strong and brave.

Lessons learned:
1.  Floss your kids' teeth.  I never flossed growing up and I never had cavities.  I also ate tons of candy.  But, flossing in this case would have probably saved her poor little teeth.  This is a big "duh" moment for me.
2.  God is merciful to us.  I've had some trying times this week and He has helped me every time.  Even though my trials were temporary or silly, he helped me through them.  He was also merciful to Camille and to me today.  I asked her when we were done if this was the hardest thing she's ever had to do and she just kind of shrugged.  Which leads me to number 3...
3.  Trials and pain are usually not forever.  When I thought more about it, my real biggest trial in terms of worrying about my kids/kids being ill or in pain was when Grace was in the NICU for 2 weeks.  Or when both girls had RSV and Grace had it so bad she had to be hospitalized.  Or when Clark was circumcised and almost passed out when I chose to watch the procedure.  While these things were happening, I never thought that they would be over.  I mean, I guess I understood that my kids would heal, but my anxiety held me in the moment.  I am thankful somewhat for those trials (I'm not asking for more!) because they truly brought me closer to God.  In my prayers, through the comfort of the Holy Spirit, and through the realization that I am His child.  He feels for me when I am in pain the same way that I feel for my kids.  Even further, in the same way that I put my kids in situations that are painful- like going to the dentist to right a wrong, our Father in Heaven puts me in situations that are painful to right a wrong or make me stronger.  It hurts a little to think of, but it's true, I know.
4.  Telling Camille that she has a crown on her tooth like a princess crown does not make things all better.

2 comments:

Kerolann said...

I flossed Addie's teeth last night after reading this. Thanks for the reminder (sorry it had to be so painful for you).

Lindsay said...

Perhaps "I" should floss... I hope this doesn't put a stopper on family outings for ice cream (see "Allowance"). Give Camille a hug for me for being so brave. And yourself for being a good mom. I guess you can include Grace and Clark as well. :)