Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kronovet

It's election season again in Santa Monica. One of our neighbors has decided to run for city council, so signs have begun sprouting up around the neighborhood:

When I first saw the signs appear, I had what I think is a common reaction to election signs, which is annoyance at the fact that there were signs everywhere followed by a feeling of dismay at thinking about the problems of electoral politics in the U.S. However, I was surprised to see that Grace and Camille had quite a different reaction to the Kronovet signs--they absolutely love them. Now when we take walks around the neighborhood they love to count the Kronovet signs, and they have made a game of trying to see whether they can spot ten signs before we make it back home ("So far we saw two kitties, five doggies, three bikes, and eight Kronovet signs...."). The other day we happened to walk by what appears to be Kronovet's place of business, which was plastered with signs, and the girls were practically ecstatic--they had to literally run home to tell their mom about their fantastic discovery.

One of the best parts about being a parent is how children help you to see the world in new and unexpected ways. I am glad for the reminder that whether or not something is annoying or wonderful is often mostly a question of how we choose to view it.

3 comments:

Andrea J said...

I would have liked to seen them counting the signs and talking excitedly, they're enthusiasm is contagious.

Rachel said...

LOL! That is hilarious!

Rachel and Vico said...

Vote Kronovet!