Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pine Nut Syndrome

So, for the past two days there has been a bitter taste in my mouth, and all food tastes bad. Even delicious butterscotch pudding tastes bitter and gross. I was a little worried about it- not wanting to have some sort of weird neurological disorder or just... bitter taste all the time. But today I was reading David Lebovitz' cooking blog (you know, the author of my favorite ice cream recipe book, "The Perfect Scoop"?) and happened upon this post about pine mouth, or pine nut syndrome. Anyway, it was perfect timing. Apparently pine nuts can leave a reaction that lasts for about 2 weeks where everything tastes metallic and bitter and terrible. It may be an awesome diet tool, although I tried to eat very healthfully today and even watermelon tasted sick. So, if you ate pine nuts at my house and now you have this problem (and you might not, as apparently not everyone that eats the same nuts will experience "pine mouth") then I am sorry.

Speaking of weird food related weirdnesses, ever have these problems with asparagus or beets?

4 comments:

marymommy said...

Sarah, the same thing happened to me too! I ate pine nuts that a girl named Metka handed out during a presentation in class. Thanks for telling about your experience, it made sense to a weird experience! Love, Scott

Andrea J said...

I am not suffering from the pine nut diet, everything still tastes pretty great unfortunately. I am one of those that experience the asparagus issue - I thought everyone did, and I've heard of a variation on the beetroot malady. Interesting stuff.

Kjelstrom Family said...

Ditto to Andrea on both accounts! PS I'm still dreaming about that butterscotch pudding! SSSSSOOO yummy!! Thank you for making it!!

Jeannie said...

Dude. That is not cool. Food should not turn on you like that. I hope you regain taste soon.