Monday, April 26, 2010

Reality Bites

The other day I served the girls up some chicken burgers. They were happily munching away when Camille asked, "Where to hamburgers come from?" We've been talking lately about how things grow. So, when she followed up with, "I mean, how do the cows make the burgers?" I had to laugh. I started to tell her, but she interrupted with, "they don't come from the inside of a cow, do they?" and a horrified look on her face. When I said that they did, that hamburger is meat from an actual cow, she got pretty upset. "Why do we eat cows? Why do people eat cows?" I tried to explain that Heavenly Father created animals for us to eat, but that didn't do much good. "But I don't want to eat cows!" she exclaimed. "Well, Camille, this is chicken!" "But does chicken come from inside a chicken?" Yeah.

Camille gagged her way through that chicken burger. I explained to her about vegetarians. "But why don't they eat meat, mom?" I wanted to say, "because it's gross!" but I didn't. It is kind of gross, though, isn't it? Some delicious muscle- mm mmm! Anyway, she hasn't complained about meat since, but I'm ready for the bombshell to drop sometime. And if she wants to become vegetarian, I've got her back.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh, it's always sad when they realize what's really going on. That's why I blissfully ignore the facts when I bite into my tender steak. Yum.

Rachel and Vico said...

The reminds me of McCarthy's "The Road" when the man wants to shield the boy from the cannibals and their activities. After one of the frustrating experiences accompanied with survival and trying not to commit evil acts like them the man says to the boy, you don't have to worry. I'm the one that has to worry. The boy simply responds, no, I have to worry too. I have to worry more.

Well, maybe cannibalism isn't the same as eating meat but maybe that's what Camille is thinking.