Monday, March 17, 2008

Kicky K's Birthday

I'm sorry to say, but of the kajillions of friends that I have, Kerith's birthday is the only one that I know the exact day of. No amount of organization, or lack of it, has allowed me to remember people's actual birthday days. Emily C's is sometime in August. Maybe the 20th or thereabouts. Sarah S's is sometime in December. Probably. These are just a few examples. I may or may not remember what actual month your actual birthdays are in. Please leave me a comment and tell me your birthday, and I'll give you a great shout out, okay?

Now to get down to business. Today is my best friend Keri's birthday. I don't know how I remember this- maybe the connection with the fabulous holiday of St. Patrick's Day. When Keri and Charlie lived in Chicago, I loved that our birthdays were all in a row- mine in January, Paul's in February, Keri's in March, and Charlie's in April. Unfortunately, they didn't stick around in Chicago long enough to celebrate everyone's birthday, but it was a nice idea. And easy to remember. Although I don't know the actual days. Just the months.

*disclaimer: our scanner is not working and I had to take pictures of my scrapbook. Sorry I am pathetic*

Anyway, Keri has been my friend for quite some time now, and I will list some good things/happy memories about/of Kerith:

-A road trip to Houston from Utah in which I drove maybe 4 of the 24 hours. However, I later made up for it by driving almost all the way to New Orleans and back from Houston with Scott quizzing me on all of my former relationships THE WHOLE WAY.



-Sleeping in our non-air conditioned house with the windows closed because Tina was afraid someone would break in.

-Borrowing Keri's clothes, which were too small, but were the most fashionable I've ever encountered. That girl has serious style.

- Shooting off fireworks by ourselves.


-Dr. Jackbass

-Making Keri "volunteer" for me against her will when she first moved to Chicago before she had a job

-Tales of her travels

-Keri could always charm anything from anybody. If you needed something extra at a restaurant, a favor from someone you didn't know, or just wanted to get to know someone better, Keri was the one to get it. I found that if I imitated her, I could get away with a lot. But it was scary being so outgoing and cool, so I quit. However, this is a trait that I quite admire in Keri.

-Keri's car breaking down 4 days in a row before she and her mom could leave Chicago and drive all the way to Alaska.

-Her giving nature- Keri will give food to any homeless person and find out their life story and care about it for the rest of her life.

-Keri is an amazingly talented writer, but I have never been allowed to read any of her stuff.

-She is naturally outdoorsy but loves all surroundings, and all people, except posers and self-centered jerks.

-She reads loads of books and remembers them too.

-She has the best taste in music of anyone I know and is the kind of person that knows the cool bands before they become cool.

-During the 24th of July celebration in Provo, we made dozens of German pancakes for the moocher parade watchers who sat on our lawn, complete with fresh strawberries and never heard a word of thanks.

-We went swimming in the Villa pool almost every day and became close friends with one Tricky-T.

-A hatred of glasses in restaurants without straws.

-A hometown alliance with Napoleon Dynamite.

-A lot of introspection- for better or worse.

Keri, I love you much and hope that your day today is awesome. If you were here I'd make you a mountain of moonpies and some homemade icecream and go for a swim with you in the frigid ocean.

No comments: