Monday, February 4, 2008

No Rickets for Us!

Hummus has saved our lives. Well, not mine, really. I'm a relatively healthy, vegetable eating adult. But, the lives of one Grace and one Camille have been saved by hummus. On the first day, they sat there eating carrots and sugar snap peas dipped in hummus for 1 hour straight, until we way overshot naptime and I actually took the vegetables away from them and made them take their nap. The second day, the same thing happened.





I almost feel like doing some sort of reverse psychology thing on them- pretending that hummus is like a cookie or something, just so the vegetables stay exciting. But I won't really do that. I'm just happy that this fad is happening for however long. Now if I could only get them to feel the same way about the whole wheat fig newtons that I made.

Hummus
1 15 oz. can drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 small clove of garlic- peeled and smashed
salt
1/4 C tahini
1/8 C water
1/8 C lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)

1 Tb. olive oil
chopped parsley
paprika

Put garlic first into the bowl of your food processor, followed by drained chickpeas, tahini, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt (canned chickpeas are pretty salty, so you might not need to add salt. Or if you have some salt-free ones from whole foods, add a little more). Process for a few minutes- longer for creamier hummus. This may be determined by the decibel level of your food processor. Ours is worse than all of the supersonic dogwhistley jackhammerey nails on the chalkboard food processors combined, but if we plug our ears for about 2 minutes and the girls chant "loud, mommy, loud" for a few minutes, it usually turns out pretty good.

If you're not worn out by then, scoop your hummus into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, a little chopped parsley, and paprika to give it some pizazz.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aack! My browser won't show the pics, and I really wanted to see the girls lovin' themselves some veggies! We found hummus as ALDI the other day - and bought 4 containers of it! Yay for garbanzo beans!