Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Seedy

As you may remember, we have a new birdfeeder. It all started with one little finch-like bird that used to come and visit us every morning as we ate our breakfast. He is grey and yellow. You also may remember that the birdfeeder that we bought went unused for several days.

Now the birdfeeder is quite the hotspot for birds to hang out. Grey and yellow finch-like bird does not ever use the birdfeeder. He just sits on the window box and eats... I don't know what he eats, but he pecks at something. Maybe bugs. We have several finches and a few doves that love our birdfeeder and the seed that gets scattered about on our balcony, thereby making it a huge mess. The birds love the birdseed so much that it all gets eaten in about 4 days.

As you may know, I am a frugal-type person, (stop laughing!) and in an effort to conserve resources (birdseed, time, money, energy refilling the birdfeeder) I have made it a rule only to refill the birdfeeder once a week. My rationale behind this is to keep the birds from being too dependent on us. It makes sense, right?

We came home a few weeks ago and found a dead bird on the ground at the bottom of the stairs leading up to our apartment. Besides the trauma and uncertainty of explaining this to the girls (Me: "the bird died." Them: "Birdie died- get up birdie!" Me: "the birdie can't get up any more- mommy will help the birdie get in a better place (the trashcan)" Them- all the next week: "birdie die, mommy help go in better place.") imagine the trauma and uncertainty that I experienced as I contemplated the bird's possible cause of death: starvation.

Fortunately, the bird was not the same type of bird that we usually see 'round our birdfeeder, so...

PS. Photographic proof of the ravenous birds to follow sometime soon.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

oh my gosh so funny! I love your mad blogging skillz!