Two years ago in preparation for my 30th birthday I decided to buy myself tickets to a U2 concert. Even though I hardly ever listen to anything other than children's tunes these days, I have always loved U2, so it seemed like the perfect time to go. In an attempt to pamper myself further (I was turning 30, you see, and thought I should do something grand), I bought tickets for the show in Chicago.
Paul later talked some sense into me, and as they opened up a second show in Anaheim, we decided to get tickets there and sell the ones in Chicago.
Then Bono hurt his back, so the show was rescheduled to the next year. Then we didn't actually have to sell back the Chicago tickets. We just had to wait another year to go in Anaheim.
The day of the concert my mom came to watch the kids. Since this was Paul's first ever concert (not counting symphonic performances) I thought I'd take pity on him and get actual seats instead of being in the pit. When we were about to leave I went to get the tickets out of the drawer that they had been sitting in for 2 years. Imagine my craziness when I discovered that they were our old Chicago tickets. I couldn't find the Anaheim tickets anywhere and I was extremely frantic until Paul realized that he had purchased the Anaheim tickets and actually had an e-ticket e-mail sitting around in his inbox for 2 years. We finally got on our way and got there early enough to get dinner with a flood of other fans.
Then we found our way to our seats.
And watched Lenny Kravitz perform. Yes, that is Lenny way down there. Maybe next time I'll figure out how to use my camera.
U2 taking the stage
A terrible picture of an awesome show.
We really had a great time. The 360 tour is pretty much the best way to see a concert. Just about every seat is a great seat. And, it was an amazing experience for me to see U2 live. Hearing the songs that have been so meaningful to me was really moving. It was fun to be there with Paul- who regretted that he didn't bring his earplugs (too loud!) and we both regretted having to stay up past 11pm. Yes- this proves that I am too old for the concert life- and may even have been when I was 30 instead of 31.
3 comments:
Wasn't that concert AMAZING??? I saw the 360 tour for free like 2 years ago and it changed my life. If only we could have gone together with Curtis Russell! U2 fans reunited!!
You guys rock! (Pun intended.) Good for you (old ones) for hanging out at the U2 concert. Way cool.
I am glad you did something fun for your birthday, even if it was a little loud.
Post a Comment