We have a big thick yellow book that is a compilation of the Curious George books that were written by the original authors, including the first story that was published in 1941. Given the era in which the books were written, it is perhaps unsurprising that lots of the people in the stories and pictures (including Curious George himself) smoke at various points. Pipes appear to be the smoking implement of choice in Curious George's world. Interestingly, for some reason Grace really enjoys flipping through the book and carefully examining each picture for people with pipes, and then pointing them out and saying "Bad!" or "No smoking!"
When I read to the girls, I occasionally like to say the wrong words to see if they are paying attention. They are very good at noticing when something is amiss, and are quick to point it out. The other day I was reading to them from the Curious George book, and at one point, rather than relating what George actually did, I read that he said that he was going to go and enjoy a nice smoke on his pipe. Right away the girls shouted "No!--that's not right!"
Thinking that this was an opportunity to further reinforce the dangers of smoking, I said, "Really? Why wouldn't Curious George say that he was going to enjoy smoking his pipe?"
To which Camille replied without hesitation, "Silly Daddy. Everyone knows that Curious George can't talk."
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Laughing out loud! Oh, that is so cute! Love it. Kids are the best aren't they?
oh course monkeys don't talk and if they would they would probably say something much more cool, like, "pass the banana, man" or "can you scratch my butt for me, thanks, that feels better, my rear has been suffering from an overactive tic farm."
Post a Comment