Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remembering a Time

I'm not trying to be all video all the time- I'm no vlogger, but I was thinking of Chicago, which I miss and often still think of as "home" (don't worry mom, I think of Hemet as "home" too) (don't worry, Paul, I think of Santa Monica as "home" too). I saw this video on my friend's blog recently, and it moved me immensely. For those of you reading that aren't of the LDS faith, up until 1978, only worthy males that were not of black-African descent could hold the priesthood. This is a difficult thing for me to understand- and for many people to understand, I think. Our church has some negative history with polygamy already, so explaining this to others in this modern world doesn't really make much sense.
I was touched by this video, because I am happy that all males can hold the priesthood now. I've seen how important this is in my family and in my church. I'm also touched because much of the footage in the film is taken in the ward that we just came from- a beautifully diverse ward, and the best and most interesting I've ever been in (present company excluded, of course.) I miss you, Chicagoans. I wish there was some way that we could all just be together.



PS. Hyde Park Firsters, isn't Cathy just great? Doesn't it just make you want to "Lift Every Voice and Sing"? I miss that.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh, I loved this post! I saw this video on Melanie's blog and felt the same longing to be back. I miss Chicago so much! How grateful I am that we could live there for the time we did. And Cathy is the best! Our ward chorister had us sing all 5 verses last Sunday, which NO ONE was expecting, and it made me think of her. Chicago will always be home to me, too.

I'm grateful for the Priesthood and living prophets receiving revelation.

marymommy said...

Thanks for posting that video Sarah. Chicago will always be special to me because it was your home and I so loved visiting it and meeting my granddaughters for the first time. I enjoyed the wonderful diversity of your ward there. No wonder it was chosen to be featured in the video. The gospel is true and wonderful. Thanks for the reminder!

Sarah said...

And we miss you guys something fierce. It feels like just last week you guys left, because I still feel like calling you to hang out tomorrow! :P

Odell Family said...

And Chicago misses you...especially Cornell!