Monday, August 16, 2010

Mesquite


People. People! Have you ever tried mesquite flour? I had heard of it from the blog 101cookbooks.com . By the way, if you like to cook healthy and tasty things, you really should check this blog out. While you're at it, you should check Heidi's book out. It's called Super Natural Cooking, and it's chock full of tasty things. Like these cookies that I'm trying to tell you about. Anyway, they are chocolate chip, and they have mesquite flour in them. Mesquite flour is pretty much the most amazing thing that I've had in my kitchen as of late. It smells and tastes like malted milk and honey and something else that I can't put my finger on... maybe it's mesquite! I got this flour in the bulk bins at my local co-op health food type store- but it was the first time that I've seen it anywhere. It's pretty pricey- about $9 a pound, although I got it on sale for $6. Anyway, if you ever see it- pick up a cup of it at least, and make these cookies. You will be happy that you did.


Mesquite Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies a la Heidi Swanson


Ingredients:


2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I used white whole wheat flour and it turned out great)

1 cup mesquite flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt

1 cup unsalted butter- room temperature

2 cups natural cane sugar

3 eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla

2 cups rolled oats

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


Mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt in a bowl and set aside.


Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 4 minutes.


Add eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture- scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add vanilla.


Add flour mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.


Bake tablespoon (or larger) drops of dough in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes- until browned on top and bottom but still underdone in the middle.


Come by and help me finish these off- you won't regret it!

4 comments:

Kjelstrom Family said...

I would love to come over and try!

Andrea J said...

I'm curious, is this flour ground is mesquite nevada? Is it made from mesquitos? I"m sure it's fantastic!

Jeannie said...

Sounds intriguing. I'm sure I can find some up here in our hoity toity town, right?

And is that floating milk in that picture? I must get me some.

kerith.is.disaster said...

i soooooo miss your cookies. serrrriously.