Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quiet Game

Last night when we were going to have Family Night, I was so stressed because the girls were running around and talking talking talking. Paul told them that we were going to play the "quiet game," so he zipped their lips to see who could be quietest the longest. I asked Grace to turn on the lights and she quietly went over to do it, but Camille said, "I will mommy!" This is a hard game for Camille to play. After a few more seconds we declared Grace the winner, and we had a couple very attentive girls at our Family Night.

That night, Paul tried to give the quiet game another chance. Since the girls have been staying up until about 10 talking and singing every night, even though we put them in bed at 8, we thought it would be worth a try. We put them in bed after our nightly routine of books, scriptures, song, and prayer, and kissed them goodnight. Then Paul zipped their lips, and as I kissed them goodnight, he said, "who's going to win the quiet game?" Both girls whispered, "I." That was the last sound we heard from them until this morning. Their prize was a chocolate covered macadamia nut that Paul brought back from Hawaii.

Of course, the novelty of the quiet game will wear off soon (I think). Meanwhile, I'll take what I can get. It's nice to have well-rested girls this morning!

4 comments:

El-Heato said...

Ah, that brings back memories. When Paul and I were roommates in college, he used to make me play The Quiet Game all the time.

I won most of the time and briefly considered turning pro, until I realized that it isn't a real game but only one of Paul's many tricks.

happyfamily said...

Dear el-heato:
You are funny.

Bill & Lisa said...

How come it never worked for us?

El-Heato said...

"Go to your room!" is not quite the same thing as The Quiet Game.