Today I threw away my teeth.
My parents have been cleaning out their home, and relieving themselves of my childhood worldly goods. Every time I see my parents, they have at least a shopping bag full, and sometimes a truckload of things to give me.
Usually I tell them to throw it all away before they bring it over. But they don't listen. I have unearthed a few treasures: a topographical map of California that I made of salt dough that I made in 4th grade; all of the programs from all of the piano recitals that I ever played in; every valentine that I saved from my classmates in grades K-8; a gold necklace from my high school boyfriend; my teeth. All of my baby teeth, 4 adult molars, and 3 extracted wisdom teeth.
I've been saving my children's teeth in baggies in my drawer when I play tooth fairy. Paul thinks it's gross, and tells me to throw them away. Until now, it's felt somewhat sinful to throw them away- I might as well throw away one of their fingers! But, upon receipt of this package of my old teeth, I know that throwing their teeth away is the right thing to do. There's no 33 year old out there that wants their baby teeth.
This is why I felt somewhat virtuous when this morning I helped the girls throw away the majority of the schoolwork that they've been hoarding. It has been an interesting process for me going through my old stuff. If I had never seen it, if I had never known it existed, I would be a much happier person. I wish that my parents really had thrown away all of my things without bringing it over- gold necklace notwithstanding. Opening up these Pandora's boxes of mementos from my past is a difficult thing to do. I don't really want all of the stuff. I have no need for my geometry notebook, notes passed between friends in middle school, the signed script from my 6th grade play, misspelled Kindergarten work, or hand prints from when I was 5. Or is this the measure of my life? Paper objects that add up to a whole? Hopefully no one ever needs to write a biography about me, because they won't have much to work with. I've made myself be at peace with leaving my past behind.
Thursday, July 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Somehow I missed this teeth-throwing-away story. Hilarious. I wonder what our kids will think about the 10,000 digital photos per year we will have of them...
Post a Comment