During Christmas break we went to Monterey. The main purpose of our visit was to see the aquarium. I do not have pictures of this. Here are some of the other things that we did:
We went to Andersen's Pea Soup in Solvang. My family used to go to Solvang every year and it was fun to go back. Although, I must say that pea soup is a strange attraction and odd road trip food.
We went to a butterfly sanctuary. I've always wanted to see these clusters of migrating monarch butterflies. There was only one tree full, but it was still a lot of fun to see.
We went on 17 mile drive and got to see some pretty coast
Southern California ain't got nuthin' on Northern California rocks and vistas.
We went to Pfeiffer beach in Big Sur.
It has purple sand under the layer of normal sand. The beach is pretty remote- about 2 miles off this unmarked road. But, it's also a state park. So, you get to drive close in, pay the guy at the little booth, and then get to see this pristine beach. It's pretty neat. Big Sur is amazing, and I think that I would love living there. But, it's also very remote, and I think driving the PCH for several hours on windy but gorgeous roads to get anywhere would wear on me.
You tell me, past or present mountain dwellers (or remote area dwellers)- does it get annoying? Or do you learn to just like staying close to home?
We had a great time! Good work, Paul- your planning expertise has done us good!
8 comments:
Come visit us up here some time during winter and we'll walk over to the butterflies on Ellwood Beach.
dreamy
I love the pic with the swirling grey sky!
Also, some of your pictures look like still shots from twilight :)
Also, some of your pictures look like still shots from twilight :)
wow all these pictures are amazing... makes me want to jump in the car right now and drive up north!
the butterflies picture is amazing. i've never seen so many but would love to. we used to find monarch caterpillars on milkweeds around my house and bring them home to curl up into a chrysalis and then hatch into butterflies. it was soooo cool and it was one of the highlights of my youth (once a bunch of caterpillars got out of the bucket they lived in and then we had butterflies hatching in really random places all week...like under the kitchen table and inside of the cereal closet! (subliminal message to clark: remember that idea.) <3.
Beautiful pictures! Your trip looks really great! I especially love the rock cropping that looks like it came straight out of Grease.
Post a Comment